Skills and Abilities:
- Medical writing and editing
- Translation of technical materials to lay language (plain language)
Experience in Writing and Editing Documents on:
- Health economics and outcomes research
- Pharmaceuticals and devices
Ph.D., Philosophy, Brown University
B.A., Philosophy, University of Western Ontario
Reports (selected from 200+)
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) dossiers for formulary submissions.
- Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation. Sixth International Bone Marrow Failure Disease Scientific Symposium: Collaborating to Transform Treatment and Improve Outcomes—Summary for Patients. Rockville, MD: author, 2018.
- Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives, National Institutes of Health: Council of Councils Working Group on the Use of Chimpanzees in NIH-Supported Research: Report. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, National Institutes of Health. A History of the Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Lecture Series: 1995–2013. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Pantothenic Acid. Bethesda, MD: author, 2018.
Journal Manuscripts (selected from 20 published articles)
- Ahmed A, Palermo SA. Community engagement in research: frameworks for education and peer review. American Journal of Public Health 2010;100:1380-7.
- Becktell K, Berlyne D, Pagliuca S, et al. Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation (AA&MDSIF): Bone Marrow Failure Disease Scientific Symposium 2018. Leuk Res. 2019;80:19–25.
- Whitson HE, Cronin-Golomb A, Cruickshanks KJ, et al. American Geriatrics Society and National Institute on Aging Bench-to-Bedside Conference: Sensory Impairment and Cognitive Decline in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018 Nov;66(11):2052-2058.
- Lay-language summaries of more than 400 scientific abstracts and posters from the annual meetings of the American Society of Hematology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, European Hematology Association, and Partners Against Mortality in Epilepsy
- Website of the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation about blood transfusion
- Web content on more than 25 cancer-related topics for a patient-oriented website
Meeting Summaries (selected from 500+)
- Food and Drug Administration: Pediatric Device Consortia Grantee Meeting
- Foundation for the National Institutes of Health: Summaries of teleconferences of six Accelerating Medicines Partnership steering committees
- National Cancer Institute: 38th Clinical Trials and Translational Research Advisory Committee Meeting
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health: National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Coordinating Committee
- National Institutes of Health: All of Us Research Program: Summary of 100+ advisory panel in-person and virtual meetings
- National Institutes of Health: Summaries of Advisory Committee to the Director Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative® Working Group 2.0 Neuroethics Subgroup teleconferences
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Advisory Panel on Clinical Trials
Manuscripts for Peer-Reviewed Journals (selected from more than 200)
- Ahuja JKC, Pehrsson PR, Cogswell M. A comparison of concentrations of sodium and related nutrients (potassium, total dietary fiber, total and saturated fat, and total sugar) in private-label and national brands of popular, sodium-contributing, commercially packaged foods in the United States. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017 May;117(5):770-777.
- Brazier J, Ara R, Azzabi I, et al. Identification, review, and use of health state utilities in cost-effectiveness models: an ISPOR good Practices for Outcomes Research Task Force report. Value Health. 2019;22(3):267–275.
- Homberger J, Degtiar I, Gutierrez H, et al. Cost-effectiveness of gene-expression profiling for tumor-site origin. Value in Health 2013;16:46-56.
- Li Q, Peterson N, Hanna RN, et al. Antibody fragment F(ab')2 targeting caveolae-associated protein pv1 for selective kidney targeting and retention. Mol Pharm. 2019;10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.9b00939.
- Weichle T, Hynes DM, Durazo-Arvizu R, et al. Impact of alternative approaches to assess outlying and influential observations on health care costs. Springerplus 2013;2:614.
- Yetley EA, MacFarlane AJ, Greene-Finestone LS, et al. Options for basing Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) on chronic disease endpoints: report from a joint US-/Canadian-sponsored working group. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Dec 7. pii: ajcn139097.
Reports and Books (selected from more than 170)
- AABB (formerly American Association of Blood Banks). Technical Manual, 18th Edition. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- ASHRAE. Residential Indoor Air Quality Guide: Best Practices for Home Design, Construction, Operation, and Maintenance. Atlanta, GA: author, 2018.
- Children and Family Futures. The Collaborative Practice Model for Family Recovery, Safety and Stability. Irvine, CA: author, 2013.
- Parenteral Drug Association, Inc. Active Temperature-Controlled Systems: Qualification Guidance. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Parenteral Drug Association, Inc. PDA Technical Report No. 67, (TR 67) Exclusion of Objectionable Microorganisms from Nonsterile Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, and Cosmetics. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
Government (partial list)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Food and Drug Administration
- National Institutes of Health
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Professional Societies and Other Nonprofit Organizations (partial list)
- AABB (formerly American Association of Blood Banks)
- AACC (formerly American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Urological Association
- Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
- Center for Children and Family Futures
- Foundation for the National Institutes of Health
- Health and Environmental Sciences Institute
- International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Parenteral Drug Association
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- 1999–present: Full-time Freelance Medical Writer and Editor
- 1995–1999: Manager of Grants Development, Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Greater Philadelphia
- 1994–1995: Editor/Writer, Information Ventures, Inc.
- 1993–1994: Manager of Proposal Development, Villanova University
- 1989–1993: Project Manager, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania
- 1988–1989: Project Manager, Psychosocial Programs, University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center
- 1987–1988: Pharmaceutical Qualitative Analyst, Datatactics, Inc.
- Experience using many AMA Manual of Style, Chicago Manual of Style, Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual, and numerous house styles
- Member, American Medical Writers Association and DC Science Writers Association
- Roundtable and education session leader, American Medical Writers Association national and regional meetings 2018 and 2019
Please email me with any questions
Download a PDF version of this resume here.