Skills and Abilities:
- Medical writing and editing
- Translation of technical materials to lay language (plain language)
Experience in Writing and Editing Documents on:
- Health economics and outcomes research
- Pharmaceuticals and devices
Ph.D., Philosophy, Brown University
B.A., Philosophy, University of Western Ontario
Reports (selected from 200+)
- Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation. Sixth International Bone Marrow Failure Disease Scientific Symposium: Collaborating to Transform Treatment and Improve Outcomes—Summary for Patients. Rockville, MD: author, 2018.
- Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives, National Institutes of Health: Council of Councils Working Group on the Use of Chimpanzees in NIH-Supported Research: Report. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, National Institutes of Health. A History of the Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Lecture Series: 1995–2013. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013
- Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Pantothenic Acid. Bethesda, MD: author, 2018.
Journal Manuscripts (selected from 19 published articles)
- Ahmed A, Palermo SA. Community engagement in research: frameworks for education and peer review. American Journal of Public Health 2010;100:1380-7.
- Moellmann-Coelho A, Asano EF, Nitor ME, et al. Budget impact analysis of chronic myeloid leukemia treatment in patients with imatinib failure from the Brazilian public health system perspective: supporting health care decisions on central and local levels. Revista Brasileira de Cancerologia 2010; 56: 471-481.
- Stroncek D, Berlyne D, Fox B, et al. Developments in clinical cell therapy. Cytotherapy 2010;12:425-8.
- Whitson HE, Cronin-Golomb A, Cruickshanks KJ, et al. American Geriatrics Society and National Institute on Aging Bench-to-Bedside Conference: Sensory Impairment and Cognitive Decline in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018 Nov;66(11):2052-2058.
- Zeidan AM, Battiwalla M, Berlyne D, Winkler T. Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation (AAMDSIF): Bone marrow failure disease scientific symposium 2016. Leuk Res. 2016;53:8-12.
- Lay-language summaries of more than 400 scientific abstracts and posters from the annual meetings of the American Society of Hematology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, European Hematology Association, and Partners Against Mortality in Epilepsy
- Website of the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation about blood transfusion
- Web content on more than 25 cancer-related topics for a patient-oriented website
Meeting Summaries (selected from 500+)
- Advisory board meetings for pharmaceutical companies
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health: Pregnancy in Women with Physical Disabilities Workshop
- Food and Drug Administration: Pediatric Device Consortia Grantee Meeting
- Foundation for the National Institutes of Health: Summaries of teleconferences of four Accelerating Medicines Partnership steering committees
- National Breast Cancer Coalition: Artemis Project® of the National Breast Cancer Coalition: Third Annual Meeting
- National Cancer Institute: 36th Clinical Trials and Translational Research Advisory Committee Meeting
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health: Workshop on the Natural History Studies of Rare Diseases: Meeting the Needs of Drug Development and Research
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health: Advisory Council on Blood Stem Cell Transplantation
- National Institutes of Health: All of Us Research Program: Summary of more than 50 advisory panel in-person and virtual meetings
- National Institutes of Health: Ninth Meeting of the Clinical Center Research Hospital Board
- National Institutes of Health: Summaries of Advisory Committee to the Director Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative® Working Group 2.0 Neuroethics Subgroup teleconferences
- NIH Pain Consortium, National Institutes of Health. 6th Annual Symposium on Advances in Pain Research
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Advisory Panel on Clinical Trials
Manuscripts for Peer-Reviewed Journals (selected from more than 200)
- Ahuja JKC, Pehrsson PR, Cogswell M. A comparison of concentrations of sodium and related nutrients (potassium, total dietary fiber, total and saturated fat, and total sugar) in private-label and national brands of popular, sodium-contributing, commercially packaged foods in the United States. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017 May;117(5):770-777.
- Ahuja JK, Pehrsson PR, Haytowitz DB, et al. Sodium monitoring in commercially processed and restaurant foods. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;101(3):622-31.
- Homberger J, Degtiar I, Gutierrez H, et al. Cost-effectiveness of gene-expression profiling for tumor-site origin. Value in Health 2013;16:46-56.
- Starting early: A life-course perspective on child health disparities—developing a research action agenda. (13 articles published in a supplement to Pediatrics 2009;124 Supp 3:S161-261)
- Weichle T, Hynes DM, Durazo-Arvizu R, et al. Impact of alternative approaches to assess outlying and influential observations on health care costs. Springerplus 2013;2:614.
- Yetley EA, MacFarlane AJ, Greene-Finestone LS, et al. Options for basing Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) on chronic disease endpoints: report from a joint US-/Canadian-sponsored working group. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Dec 7. pii: ajcn139097
Reports and Books (selected from more than 170)
- AABB (formerly American Association of Blood Banks). Technical Manual, 18th Edition. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- ASHRAE. Residential Indoor Air Quality Guide: Best Practices for Home Design, Construction, Operation, and Maintenance. Atlanta, GA: author, 2018.
- Children and Family Futures. The Collaborative Practice Model for Family Recovery, Safety and Stability. Irvine, CA: author, 2013.
- Parenteral Drug Association, Inc. Active Temperature-Controlled Systems: Qualification Guidance. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Parenteral Drug Association, Inc. PDA Technical Report No. 67, (TR 67) Exclusion of Objectionable Microorganisms from Nonsterile Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, and Cosmetics. Bethesda, MD: author, 2013.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Food and Drug Administration
- National Institutes of Health
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Professional Societies and Other Nonprofit Organizations
- AABB (formerly American Association of Blood Banks)
- AACC (formerly American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Urological Association
- Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation
- Foundation for the National Institutes of Health
- Health and Environmental Sciences Institute
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Parenteral Drug Association
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- 1999–present: Full-time Freelance Medical Writer and Editor
- 1995–1999: Manager of Grants Development, Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Greater Philadelphia
- 1994–1995: Editor/Writer, Information Ventures, Inc.
- 1993–1994: Manager of Proposal Development, Villanova University
- 1989–1993: Project Manager, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania
- 1988–1989: Project Manager, Psychosocial Programs, University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center
- 1987–1988: Pharmaceutical Qualitative Analyst, Datatactics, Inc.
- Experience using many AMA Manual of Style, Chicago Manual of Style, Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual, and numerous house styles
- Member, American Medical Writers Association and DC Science Writers Association
- Workshop presenter, American Medical Writers Association 2018 conference
Please email me with any questions
Download a PDF version of this resume here.